The simplest way to get a list of tasks is to look at the documents that formulate the requirements, and write all the activities to be carried out, then check the functions defined by these requirements. As soon as the list is made, its tasks are assigned priorities. Documents that contain requirements wording should be used as guidelines for the priorities of functions. At the same time, there may be additional considerations that affect priority choice. For example, some of the software codes that implement a function can undergo only minor changes while migrating to a new version of the software product, while other functions appear on the new version of the app for the first time.
Apparently, it makes sense to devote a lot of attention to a new program code, rather than to a modified code. In addition, you will have to spend more time checking the design decisions and structure, as well as debugging the new code. Outsource software testing to people that do not participate in software development and you will be correctly informed of the current status of your project.
In addition to the common review of requirements, it is necessary to take into account tasks that are not directly related to requirements documentation, but at the same time allow you to do testing. For example, it would be nice to include the following tasks in the above list:
- Generation of a test plan.
- Revision of the test plan.
- Development of test cases.
- Debugging of the test cases.
- Verification of bug fixes.
- Definition of tests and properties of the software product and the process for their elicitation and usage.
- Static testing: review and revision of software projects and codes.
- Implementation of the chosen testing automation strategy within reasonable limits.
- Revision of user documentation.
- Acquisition of equipment necessary for the implementation of this project as part of the strategy for creating a universal testing laboratory.
- Recruitment of field test specialists that meet the required qualifications.
- Training of the testing specialists for dealing with new technologies and new tools.
- Execution of tests and creation of test result reports
- Running preparedness checks
- Evaluation of the project.
After the source list is prepared, it is useful to look at it together with the testing team and allow your mind to dwell on the entire life cycle development cycle, identifying the necessary components and tasks that must be performed to fulfill the needs of the testing team.